- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 3 tbsp + 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Few cracks of black pepper
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup chopped white cabbage
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 buns
- Slice extra firm tofu into cutlets, (I got 2). Press with paper towels to remove some of the water. Place gently into a sealed container or bag and freeze overnight or for 8 hours. This creates a chewy animal protein like texture.
- Allow the cutlets to thaw out in the fridge. Wrap them again in paper towels to remove the excess liquid. Place the slices onto a dish and drizzle with pickle juice. Let marinate for 10 minutes. Flip mid way and pour more on the other side.
- In a small bowl stir together the 3 tbsp buffalo sauce and dijon mustard. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl add the flour, cornstarch and spices.
- Pour about 1/2 inch of oil into a small/medium size pan. Place on med/high heat.
- Remove tofu from marinating and place into the flour mixture. Be sure to coat all sides with the mixture. Let it sit there for 5 mins.
- Now brush the hot sauce mixture onto the tofu coating all sides. Now place it back into the flour mixture coating again. Shake off any excess then gently place into the oil.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping at the halfway mark. Sprinkle with salt and lace on a cooling rack for 5 minutes to remove any excess oil.
- Coat the tofu with the 1/2 cup buffalo sauce and plate. Top tofu with shredded cabbage + vegan blue cheese!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins