- 2 tbsp ground flax w/ 6tbsps water
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 2 tbsps bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsps + 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 white sugar
- Maldon salt
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups stevia sweetened chocolate chips
- Flax egg: Combine the ground flax and water, set aside. This will serve as the eggs in the recipe.
- 2 In a pan over medium heat add 1/2 cup + 1tbsp vegan butter. Cook until the butter begins to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl or liquid measuring cup. Stick in the freezer to chill, 10-15 minutes or allow to come to room temp on the counter. measure the butter as it may have been reduced. Simply add more soft butter until you have 1/2 cup.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On the baking sheet, toss the pecans in 1 tbsp brown butter, 1 tbsp bourbon, and 2 tbsp brown sugar. Bake 8-10 minutes, until toasted. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roughly chop the pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together 1/2 cup vegan butter, the cooled browned butter, remaining 1 cup brown sugar, and the 1/4 cup white sugar until combined. Beat in the flax egg, until just combined. Add 1 tablespoon bourbon and the vanilla, beating until creamy.
- Set the oven to 410° F.
- In a bowl combine your dry ingredients, cake flour, white flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Don’t pack your measuring cup. Add it to the bowl of the standing mixer while beating on low and doing it in increments. Fold in the chocolate chips and toasted pecans.
- Roll the dough into large loose balls. These cookies won’t spread much. The idea is to create a large cookie that is crispy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. That is a Levain Style cookie. For traditional ones, simply do 1 scoop.
- Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes or until the edges are crisp. If they seem too high, once removed from the oven, slightly tap the pan on the counter to flatten them. They will continue to firm up as they sit on the pan. Allow them to fully cool on the pan.
- Sprinkle with Maldon salt
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins