Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Soup
With the temperatures dropping, I’m all about the soup! Believe it or not, I once rarely craved soup. After years of never ordering it while dining out, I just lost my infatuation with soup altogether.
Why was I over soup?
They typically are made with chicken or beef brother, packed with heavy cream, with loads of additional salt etc. That being said, I just always avoided it. However, once I explored making homemade soups, my entire perception shifted. Soups are just SO EASY to throw together and can be as nutrient dense as you like. When the flavors combine, the veggies are nearly undetectable. So if you have a picky eater, soups are the perf medium to increase your veggie intake.
If there is one ready made food that I’m forever enamored with, it’s sun dried tomatoes! They are great on pizza and pasta, and I just knew that a soup would also be a win. Having made upwards of 40 different soup recipes on EDS, I had to finally explore this concept..
and the vegan Sun Dried Tomato Soup was born!
What’s great about this soup? Everything. It’s a handful of accessible and affordable ingredients, nutrient dense, packs tons of flavor, packs a rich sun dried tomato flavor, has less sodium, easy, cheesy, creamy, packs protein with the cashews, is filling, has hints of heat and basil, can easily be made in bulk, you could throw in carrots for added nutrients, it’s perf for any season, and is hands down a must try!
If you’re looking for another way to enjoy sun dried tomatoes, you have to try this classic Sun Dried Tomato Soup!
Why this recipe is great:
Packed with sun dried tomatoes
Notes of basil
Hints of heat
Can easily be made in bulk
Perfect for any season
Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Soup
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes cut in chunks
- 5 large garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes I used packed in oil & drained
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 10–15 basil leaves (can use stems too)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Basil and olive oil for garnish
- Soak cashews in boiling water for 10 mins
- Preheat a medium size pot on medium heat. Add the oil and diced onion, cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent/very slightly golden
- Add the garlic and dried thyme and cook for another 2-3 minutes until slightly golden.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes to the pot. Cook for 8-10 minutes, increasing heat to medium/high and stirring occasionally.
- In a high power blender add the cashews and 2 cups of broth, basil, sun dried tomatoes. Blend until smooth. (3 mins or more)
- Now add the chopped tomatoes from the pot. You may have to do this in segments. Blend until smooth. Add everything back into the pot. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Add additional broth if needed. Soup will thicken the more you cook it.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins