Easy Grilled Mushroom Burgers with Pesto Aioli
Let’s talk sandwiches!
If there is one thing I crave, it’s a fun vegan sandwich! The majority of my days are filled with green juice, salads and fruit. However, I love to mix it up and make a faux meat concept from scratch. While I know there are so many good ready made options, this mushroom sandwich is so cheap and easy to throw together and a million times better than any frozen patty.
Don’t believe me?
It’s non vegan approved!
When it comes to mushrooms, it’s either you love them or hate them If you hate it, it’s typically due to the texture or your preparation method not being effective. I personally love mushrooms in all ways, but the method that proves to be such a game changer is, grilling and marinating! Grilling and marinating mushrooms enables you to derive more flavor to make a more memorable experience. If you have a lil extra time, grilling and marinating is the way to go as the final product will worth it!
When thinking of the next best sandwich I knew we had to do one of my personal go to’s, the Porotbello Mushroom Sandwich with Pesto Aioli! There are many components to the swandiwch that just make it such a huge hit. The red peppers, the pesto ailo and the flavor from the marinade just work seamlessly together to make a great sandwich.
What’s fab about this mushroom sandwich? Honestly, absolutely everything! It’s so easy to throw together, features staple ingredients, you can even mix up the marinade ingredients, has notes of Italian herbs, you can easily make this in bulk, make sliders, you can throw them in the air fryer if desired, switch up the toppings, the pesto aioli can be used on other sandwiches, you can throw in some red pepper flakes for a fiery kick, and it’s good all year round!
If you’re searching for the perfect homemade Grilled Portobello Sandwich, this is it! You have to try my version with pesto aioli!
Why this recipe is great:
This grilling method won’t give you flat mushrooms
Perfect for any season
Easy Grilled Mushroom Burger with Pesto Aioli
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: Serves 2
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Few cracks of black pepper
- 1 tsp herbs de provencial
- 2–3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of arugula
- 2 1/2 tbsps pesto
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- Clean mushrooms and remove the stem. Pat dry and set aside.
- Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, herbs de provencial, and garlic together in a reusable bag allow the mushrooms to Marianne for at least 30 minutes to absorb the marinade.
- Preheat your grill or griddle to medium high heat, allowing your mushrooms to continue to marinate while the grill gets hot.
- Once the grill has been preheating for around 5-10 minutes, add mushrooms top side down and grill with the lid closed over medium high for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Flip your mushrooms to the other side and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes until tender. Immediately remove from heat.
- In a small dish combine the pesto and vegan mayo.
- Assemble your burgers by spreading the pesto aioli on the top bun, garnish the mushrooms with the chopped roasted red peppers, arugula and red onion.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins