Creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Hello & Happy Monday!!
Everyone is recovering post Thanksgiving weekend. So today is all about something quick, easy, and veggie packed! While I love a salad, soups are honestly one of my favorite concepts. They pack the illusion that they are involved, but they are just as easy as a salad and can be made in bulk to enjoy throughout the week.
My best tip for vegan soups is to really get creative. You can pack on the veggies as they will become undetectable in a soup, use spices both fresh and dried, don’t be shy with the garlic, and cashews whether you love or hate them add body and protein to any soup like heavy cream.
As a soup person I’ve delved into just about every soup you could imagine. That being said, I’m always on the lookout for the next best thing! In recent years everyone started to fall in love with roasted red pepper sauce. I too love it as a quick modern sauce, but knew you can easily turn that sauce into a soup. I have to say hands down..
It’s way better as a soup than any sauce!
What’s fab about this soup? Everything. It’s literally minutes to make, packs tons of veggies, flavor, rich, creamy, packs plant protein, thick, has notes of basil, the right amount of garlic, a gorgeous hue, you could roast the peppers yourself if you don’t feel like buying the jarred variety, it can easily be made in bulk and pairs seamlessly with a grilled cheese!
If you’re searching for a fresh modern vegan soup, you have to try this new vegan Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
Why this recipe is great:
Has notes of basil
Packs a lil heat
Perfect for fall and winter
Vegan Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 16oz jars roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked, drained
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water (10 mins)
- In a large saucepan, melt vegan butter over medium heat; add onion, carrots, and celery.
- Cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in red peppers, 3 cups vegetable broth, basil, red pepper flakes, herbs de provence, and salt.
- Take the remaining 1 cup of broth and throw it in a high power blender with the soaked cashews. Blend until smooth. (2-3 mins). Now add the soup to the blender and blend until smooth. You may have to do this in segments.
- Add everything back to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Adjust the thickness if desired with additional broth.
- Garnish the soup with olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, toasted french bread and sliced basil.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Recipe ingredient list doesn’t contain Celery or Carrots
Thank you for catching that! There was a glitch in the recipe. It should be visible now.
What size jar of peppers, times two, and how long to soak the cashews please?
Hi Carol, You should soak the cashews in boiling water for at least 10 mins as outlined the recipe. The longer the better as you want them to be soft. I’ve added the ounces for the red peppers.
Thanks so much!