Vegan Blood Orange Thyme Muffins
The weekends are all about rest, catching up on real life, and if you’re me, muffins lol. I typically don’t indulge in sweets during the week or keep it to a minimum. However, once the weekend comes I’m much more flexible and love to explore brunch concepts.
My personal favorite the last few months has been, muffins! For the longest time I couldn’t find the right balance, the texture was off, or they didn’t bake all the way thru and they were just underwhelming. Fast forward to today, I stumbled upon the perfect balance in regards to texture and made countless recipes following that.
To date I’ve made a vegan Blueberry Basil, Lemon Poppy Seed, Lemon Blackberry, Matcha Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Pear, Triple Berry, Lemon Blueberry, Double Dark Chocolate Chip, Eggnog, Gingerbread, Peanut Butter & Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Strawberry, Orange Cranberry, Peach Oatmeal, Strawberry Basil, Raspberry Almond, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Apple, Blueberry Almond, Green Machine ,Lemon Rosemary, & Dark Chocolate & Raspberry muffins!
When it comes to creating the next new flavor, and spring upon us, these Blood Orange Muffins were a no brainer! There is something so intriguing about blood oranges whether it be the color or slightly different flavor, I’m all about them!
What’s fab about these muffins, are everything! It’s my staple vegan muffin recipe, packed with fresh blood orange, buttery soft texture, rich with orange flavor, notes of fresh thyme, have aesthetic appeal, and are perfect for spring!!
If you love all things blood orange or are craving a vegan spring concept, you have to try these vegan Blood Orange Thyme Muffins!!
Why this recipe is great:
No dairy or eggs
Packed with blood orange
Notes of thyme
Perf for spring
Vegan Blood Orange Thyme Muffins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 depending on size 1x
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large banana, mashed, 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice (3 oranges)
- zest from 1 blood orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F., line 8 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners. For standard-size muffins line 10 muffin cups. (optional) Fill the remaining cups with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help the muffins bake evenly.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil, mashed banana, room temp blood orange juice, vanilla extract, blood orange zest, and thyme to a bowl and whisk until smooth. If the mixture is too cold and coconut oil begins to solidify, simply pop in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Add wet to dry ingredient lightly combine. Do not over mix. (The muffin batter will be quite thick) Fill batter into the muffin cups. Garnish with blood orange triangles and additional thyme if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean. If the tops begin to dry out simply make a tent with aluminum foil to prevent them from further drying out.
If you don’t have enough blood orange juice simply sub the remainder with almond milk
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1