Vegan Key Lime Pie
Let’s talk Key Lime Pie!
Everyone loves this pie, but especially me! To make a vegan version though, you have to use cashews, which can give you more of a cheesecake result or cornstarch. Since I had previously explored cashews, but I was interested in seeing how one with cornstarch would compare. Especially since we’ve done a lemon pie with the same approach.
The results? Perfection!
Before you get overwhelmed with making a vegan Key Lime Pie, this has to be the easiest recipe there is. It’s literally just 4 ingredients, features no oil, no added sugar, you can use a ready made crust, you throw it in a pan and within minutes you have your filling. Simply pop it in the fridge to set and boom, you have homemade Key Lime Pie!
What’s great about this pie? Everything. It’s quick, easy, affordable, mirrors traditional key lime pie, packs tons of lime flavor, you can use a ready made crust, you can use lime extract or skip it altogether, you can dye it green if desired, it contains no added sugar, the filling is oil free, and it’s perfect for summer or anytime of the year!
If you love a fresh summer dessert, you have to try this new vegan Key Lime Pie!
Why this recipe is great:
Packs the perfect amount of lime
Contains no added sugar
Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8 Slices 1x
- 1 13.5 oz Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Condensed Coconut Milk
- 4 1/2 tbsps cornstarch
- 1/2 cup key lime juice or lime juice
- 1 tsp lime extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp lime zest (optional)
- Garnish: 1 tbsp Lime zest and vegan whip cream
- 1 ready made graham cracker crust
- To a pot add all the ingredients minus the cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil, and sift in your cornstarch. Whisk as you do this to prevent small clumps that may form. The sauce will begin to thicken (2-3 mins). If you heat for too long you’ll break the cornstarch bonds.
- Now add the filling to the ready made pie crust and allow it to fully come to room temperature. Then cover and store in the fridge for 2-4hrs or overnight until firm.
- Serve with lime zest and vegan whip cream
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins