- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 packs yeast, (can use quick rise, but not required)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 4 1/2 cups flour, plus more
- 2/3 cup softened vegan butter
- 2 tsps espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsps espresso powder
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. (for proofing)
- Place almond milk in the microwave for 1 minute or until warm like bath water. If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast.
- In a large bowl combine the almond milk, yeast and sugar. Allow it to activated for at least 5 minutes until it becomes foamy on top.
- To the yeast add the melted vegan butter, salt, and the flour. Stir with a spoon or your hands until it comes together. Add flour about 1/3 cup at a time until it becomes less sticky and pulls away from the bowl.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 4 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Place the dough in the preheated oven with door open for about 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Punch the dough down and roll into a rectangle on a floured surface. The dough should be 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl until smooth and spreadable. Try not to let the butter melt as it will be harder to roll. Spread the filling over the entire dough leaving about 1/2 inch bare.
- For the most seamless method, simply take a pizza cutter and make even strips. Start rolling from one end and place rolls in a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish, or (2) 9-inch pie pans.
- Bake on the second rack to prevent the tops from burning. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the centers are cooked through. Place a toothpick in to check it comes out clean. If not done but everything else is cooked, cover with tinfoil and put the oven down to 350 and bake until complete.
- For the icing combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer. Mix until smooth. Adjust the consistency as desired.
- Allow the rolls to cool slightly before frosting, garnish with a sprinkle of espresso powder, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 mins