Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup
If there is one staple soup I’ve always loved, it’s Black Bean! My mom would make it and we would order it at a restaurant, so I have a deep love for this soup. For some people its a classic go to, for others I’ve found its typically something they’ve never even tried. (mind blown).
Like all soups, this one is super easy and affordable! You literally need a handful of ingredients you should already own, 20 minutes, and boom, you have a fab soup you can enjoy throughout the week! The hardest thing about this soup would be trying to capture it in an image and making it look attractive lol. Brown soup is a tough one, but I promise, it’s so good!
When it comes to soups, it’s actually great medium to pack on the veggies. Everything is blended together, they are undetectable and additional veggies only enhance the flavor of soups.. So if you have picky eaters at your table or you’re just looking for ways to maximize your veggie intake, soups are a great option!
What I love about this soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, veggie packed, has a lil spicy from the adobo peppers, a hint of smokey from the liquid smoke, isn’t watery, has texture, but isn’t too thick, packs carrots for added flavor and nutrients, can easily be made in bulk, frozen and stored for later, and pairs perfectly with some avocado, sour cream, and cilantro!
If you’re all about black beans or love effortless vegan staples, you have to try my recipe for Black Bean Soup!
Why this recipe is great:
Can be made in large batches
High in plant protein
Can maximize the veggie content by adding bell peppers
Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 chili in adobo sauce (chopped) with 1 tbsp of adobo sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots (ideally shredded)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tsps liquid smoke
- 2 tsps vegan worcestershire
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños
- In a large pot on medium heat, add 1tbsp of oil and chopped onions, cook til translucent. (3-4 mins)
- Now add the carrots, garlic, spices, salt/pepper, and chopped adobo peppers with sauce, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add 2 cans of rinsed beans (save the other 2 for the end), bay leaf, liquid smoke, worcestershire, pickled jalapeños and broth. Let everything marinate on low/med for 1hr or more so the flavors can combine.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf and throw the soup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add it back into the pot, and add the remaining 2 cans of rinsed black beans.
- Serve warm and with avocado, vegan sour cream, thinly sliced red onion, and cilantro!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Lunch/Dinner
- Serving Size: 4-6
I really wanted this to work out but it tasted very, very salty. I ended up adding water, frozen corn and a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes to try to dilute the tang and saltiness. I think this would be better without the pickled jalapeños—maybe a regular jalapeño?
Hi Patty, Did you use salt free black beans? Drain and rinse them? The 1/2 cup of pickled jalapeños adds a little heat and tanginess, but not salt.