Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Believe it or not, butternut squash soup was one of the very first recipes I ever explored while venturing into the culinary world. For the longest time I viewed soups as this intricate concept that was time consuming, but soups are the furthest thing from complex!
Since my early cooking days I’ve tried a myriad of butternut squash soup recipes and this one was one for the books! What I find is the best approach for the majority of soups, is roasting the ingredients. You derive more flavor, adds a richness, and can just really create an entirely different soup! I’m not sure if it was the roasting, the skipping of the typical cinnamon, or what the case may be, but I really loved this blend more than any others I’ve tried!
What’s fab about this soup, is everything! It features staple ingredients, quick, easy, packs flavor, packs nutrients, a vibrant color, can easily be made in bulk, perf for the cold winter months, is affordable, and is hands down my fave butternut squash soup recipe!!
If you love all things butternut or are craving a staple soup to add to your routine, you don’t want to miss this vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with thyme!!
Why this recipe is great:
No dairy or eggs
Can easily be made in bulk
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (seeds removed)
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400º. On a large baking sheet, toss butternut squash, onions and carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, remaining tablespoon olive oil. Add celery and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, fresh thyme, additional salt and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the roasted squash, onions and carrots to a high power blender. Add the celery/garlic mixture, broth, and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Add the coconut milk.
- Serve garnished with thyme and toasted pine nuts.
Cut prep time down by buying a Whole Foods package of precut butternut squash
If you’re not sure if you have too much roasted onion, simply add it to the blender gradually before blending all together.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 4 servings
I love your site-just found it! I would like to make the Butternut Squash soup but the garlic is not listed in the ingredients. How much do we roast?
I would roast 3 garlic cloves and more if you love garlic!