Shaved Brussels Salad in a champagne vinaigrette
Let’s talk salads!
I’ll be honest, I love to eat healthy, but I’m not crazy about plain jane salads. I completely understand when I hear people say, “salads are just boring”. However, salads don’t have to be a big disappointment. You just have to put forth a little more effort to make an impactful dish. If we apply the same effort as a salad we would order out, I guarantee that everyone would be singing a different tune when it comes to salads.
This iconic salad was actually created years ago, but the images left much to be desired and this dish became one of my absolute favorites out of 1000 dishes. I fell in love with this salad for countless reasons and truly discover an affinity for all things dinosaur kale. Traditional kale is so fibrous that it has to be massage to be consumed. However, dinosaur kale doesn’t have to be and I find the flavor to be more appealing. When you combine kale with brussel sprouts, you truly have a nutrient packed dish. If you’re playing around with salad bases, I highly recommend this one of white or red cabbage.
What I love about this salad recipe, is honesty everything! It’s quick, easy, involves a handful of ingredients, is nutrient dense, it can easily be made in bulk, has tons of texture, flavor, it’s savory, sweet, you can mix up the nuts, mix up the dried fruit, use dairy free cheese, it has aesthetic appeal, the dressing goes well with any salad, and the salad is perfect for the holiday season!
If you’re looking for that perfect salad to add to your holiday menu, you have to try my staple Shaved Brussels and Kale Salad in a Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette!
Why this recipe is great:
Packs lots of fiber
Packs lots of flavor
Perf for summer, fall, winter, or spring
Shaved Brussels + Kale Salad
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
For the salad
- 4 cups finely shredded kale (massage)
- 4 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup goat cheese or vegan cheese
- 1/2 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbsps agave, honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients, until combined.
- Nuts: Preheat oven to 350, toast nuts for 10-15 minutes, turn halfway through for an even toast.
- Salad: In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, toasted pecans, cranberries. Gently toss in the goat cheese. Top with champagne vinaigrette. Add avocado if desired!
To slice the brussels you can use a mandolin or simply do it by hand.
To shred the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up and then slice. (chiffonaude)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Lunch/Dinner