Vegan Everything Bagels
Lately I’ve been obsessed with bread making. Prior to social distancing, I absolutely distanced myself from this category. I found the process overwhelming, many times the bread would fail, costing ingredients etc and the list goes on. So if you feel as though that’s your view of bread making, you’re not alone!
With a lil extra time on my hands though, I decided to give it a go, because let’s face it.. You have to have a staple bagel and pretzel recipe! lol
To date we’ve made a Blueberry Bagel and Jalapeño Cheddar, the next on the list had to be Everything Bagel! In New York we would get bagels every weekend, and this was our go to. It packs so much flavor that it pairs well with just about anything. Bonus, today you can get this seasoning pre mixed so there is no struggle to source each one.
What’s great about this bagel recipe, is that it’s hands down better than any NYC bagel. (bold statement) I’ve tried this recipe with using half bread flour, expired yeast, and even heating the oven to speed up the proofing, it works every time! This recipe is reliable, the texture buttery soft, the process is quick and easy, and even if you’ve never made a bagel, you’ll nail bagel making! What’s also great is that you can use the base to make a variety of flavors, you can mix up the sizes, they are perfect for any season, they are great for brunch entertaining and pair perfectly with the scallion cream cheese!
If you love all things everything bagel, you have to try these new vegan Everything Bagels!
Why this recipe is great
Easy to follow
You can use the base to make endless varieties
Can be frozen
Perf with scallion cream cheese!
Perf for any season!
Vegan Everything Bagels
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 5-8 1x
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)2 and
- 3/4 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
- 4 cups bread flour (or 2 cups bread flour w/2 cups white flour) plus more for work surface
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, to coat bowl
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 4 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or (honey)
Scallion Cream Cheese:
- 1 package of vegan cream cheese
- 2 scallions chopped
- Make the dough: Whisk the warm water and yeast together in the bowl. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt and combine with your hands. The dough is very stiff and will look somewhat dry, but won’t be once you knead it.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 4-5 minutes. I don’t recommend a mixer as the dough is too heavy.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until double in size. If the dough doesn’t double, give it more time to rise. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape the bagels: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. If the dough seems too wet, add a lil flour 1/2 tbsp at a time on your hands. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, doesn’t have to be exact.
- Shape each piece into a ball. Press a finger through the center of each ball to make a hole about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. Loosely cover the shaped bagels with kitchen towel and rest while you prepare the water bath. (15 mins) Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Water bath: Fill a large, wide pot with 2 quarts of water. Whisk in the maple syrup. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. If the bagels don’t puff up a lil before boiling, give them some more time. Drop bagels in, 1 or 2 at a time, making sure they have enough room to float around. Cook the bagels for 1 minute on each side. Once removed, immediately use a pastry brush and brush vegan butter on top and around the sides of each bagel. Sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Place 4 bagels onto each lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 15-20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice, toast, and top with whatever you like! Keep bagels in a sealed container at room temperature to maintain freshness. * To freeze them for later use, do so immediately after baking.
- Scallion Cream Cheese: Combine the ingredients in a small bowl.
Make Overnight: To make the dough overnight, on the first rise I cover and place in the fridge. In the morning, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let the dough rise for 45 minutes at room temperature. Then proceed with the remaining steps!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1